Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Beginning of Evil

     After Sunday School last Sunday, Laura asked at what point did evil begin. She of course knew about Adam and Eve and the fruit buisness but Satan seems to exist before that fateful day. She seemed to think of Satan as a personification of evil rather than an actual entity. I asserted it would be a mistake to not understand Satan in isolation from an understanding of free will. The evil wrought by Adam and Eve's disobedience might be considered to abet the evil of Satan's own disobedience.
     Discounting the human limits of time perception, we might say that evil is a function of free will. It comes into existence at that point where an act not in accord with God's will is realized. Satan, Adam, Eve, you or I may possibly only know that we have free will in the negative expression of disobedience.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Etch!

    Wow! Nothing like starting out on a light note! LOL! :-) I have to tell you that this is one of my "Questions for God" when I see Him face to face! I do find this an interesting explanation! Thanks for your insight!

    ReplyDelete